Best Conical Burr Grinders
When looking for a good coffee grinder there is no doubt about it, conical burr grinders are best. However, not all conical burr grinders are created equal. Some start out at $50 and some go as high as $500 plus, but for home use what are the best conical burr grinders?
When it comes to high quality conical burr grinders the Capresso Infinity Conical Burr Grinders get mixed reviews with the majority of them on the positive side. However, for a burr coffee grinder under $100, it is definitely a hard machine to beat.
- 8.5 ounce hopper – It doesn’t hold as many coffee beans as larger varieties, but it does have a pretty average size hopper.
- 16 settings – It definitely doesn’t compare to higher priced models which can actually have hundreds of settings from the finest grinds to the courses ones. However, for most people making coffee at home 16 is enough to get the job done.
- Smaller footprint – This machine is smaller than many others which makes it easier as a desktop or counter top appliance. It is 14.6” x 9.6” x 7.8” and weights in at 4 pounds.
- It has a 1 year limited warranty. This is pretty standard and for $90 seems reasonable.
- Comes in black, stainless steel, and brushed silver.
- 4.2 rating out of 5 stars on Amazon. It has 797 ratings.
- Benefits – There tends to be less static and less dust than a lot of conical burr grinders, but this is mostly true for grinders of equal or lesser price. It also stays cool so doesn’t burn the coffee beans. It is a long lasting machine and durable.
- Disadvantages – Many people report it being poor at grinding very fine coffee for espresso. It is also pretty hard to clean all the old beans out of it. If they are left in there then you will get stale coffee mixed in when you go to grind your next batch of beans.
Overall, the Capresso Infinity Conical Burr Grinder isn’t the best machine in the world, but if you have a limited amount of money that you can spend then this is the grinder to get. For $100 you aren’t going to find anything better. This one will at least give you consistent results that work well for most types of coffee and most coffee drinkers.
Bodum Bistro Electric Burr Coffee Grinder
This coffee grinder is about $100 and isn’t necessarily better than the Capresso Infinity conical burr grinder, but it does have one advantage that makes it worth putting on the list of best conical burr grinders. It has a lot of good features that makes it a good coffee grinder, but in addition to that it comes in a lot of colors. If this is your thing then you might want to go with the Bodum Bistro electric burr coffee grinder instead of the Capresso Infinity conical burr grinder.
- 14 Settings – While 14 settings isn’t as many as the Capresso Infinity, it is enough to help make the Bodum Bistro make the best conical burr grinders list.
- It is about 7.6” x 7.1” x 12.5” and weighs around 4 pounds. This is a smaller footprint than some machines, but is about as light as you can get a conical burr grinder to be.
- It comes in white, black, lime green, red, and orange making it the most versitile of machines as far as style goes. In this day and age where dishes, appliances, and even pans come in a huge variety of colors, the Bodum Bistro electric burr coffee grinder is the only one keeping up. They have the colors needed in order to match other fancy colored items you may have.
- It also has good reviews with an average of 4.3 out of 5 stars on Amazon with 126 ratings.
- Benefits – This machine has a good grind. It is quiet and includes a glass catcher which reduces static electricity and helps keep the coffee off the side of the container. It also includes a timer which makes for easy grinding.
- Disadvantages – While it has a pretty consistent grind, it doesn’t have a good course grind. This means that there is too much dust for a French Press.
Overall, I would choose the Capresso Infinity conical burr grinder unless you want one of those fancy colors. Most coffee grinders come in black or some sort of silver. If you want something other than that, this is a great option.
Baratza Virtuoso Coffee Grinder
First is should be noted that Baratza is a good name when looking for a coffee grinder. Their Virtusos Conical Burr Coffee Grinder is an in between priced machine at about $200. It really has mixed reviews, but its benefits seem to outweigh its disadvantages.
- 8 ounce hopper – This has an average size hopper that will hold a decent amount of beans, but that isn’t going to take you real far if you need more than 4 ounces of ground coffee at a time.
- 40 settings – Most people find that the Baratza Virtuoso Coffee Grinders have plenty of settings with 40 different options.
- Small footprint – Baratza is known for making machines with small foot prints and the Virtuoso burr coffee grinder is no different at 5” x 6” x 14”. However, it is a heavy machine at about 9 pounds.
- It’s black and silver design is the only option that you have, so if you are wanting a lot of color choices this is definitely not the burr coffee grinder isn’t for you.
- 3.8 stars out of 5 on Amazon. It only has 34 ratings, but it has a lot of good reviews on other sites as well.
- Benefits – With 40 settings you are likely to find the perfect settings for all of your coffee drinking needs. You will find that this machine is easy to clean, doesn’t heat up, and is not messy.
- Disadvantages – While the Baratza Virtuoso Coffee Grinder can make a great cup of coffee and can grind beans consistently, it can also get stuck. This is especially true with dark roast beans, oily beans, or flavored coffees that include syrups or pieces of other materials. It also has complaints about some parts falling apart after one to two years. For $200 it isn’t a good thing if it falls apart after a year or two.
Overall this is a good machine, however I don’t know if it is better than the Capresso or the Bodum burr coffee grinders. In that case I would either buy the less expensive coffee grinder or find a way to spend more money on a bigger and better machine, the Ranicilio Rocky burr coffee grinder.
Ranicilio Rocky Burr Coffee Grinders
Ranicilio is a brand that many people have trusted and loved for many years. They have two main conical burr grinders that fall into the list of best conical burr grinders. The first is the Rancilio Rocky Doserless Burr Coffee Grinder and the second is the Rancilio Rocky Burr Coffee Grinder with Doser. The only difference is that the first grinds into a portable filter and the second had a doser it grinds into. Each of these machines cost about $350 and most agree that they are worth the expense.
- 10.5 ounce hopper – It’s not the biggest, but it is much larger than many conical burr coffee grinders which tend to hold around 8 ounces of beans.
- 55 settings – There are 55 different settings for your grinds from course to very fine.
- Large footprint – Most people aren’t real thrilled with the size of this machine. It has a big footprint and is pretty heavy. It is 14” x 10” x 5” and a whopping 12 pounds.
- Comes in black and stainless steel.
- 4.3 rating out of 5 on Amazon. However, only 19 people have rated it there. On the other hand, it has many other reviews on the Internet.
- Benefits – The Ranicilio Rocky Burr Coffee Grinders have a lot of benefits including a consistent grind, quiet operation, and a long life.
- Disadvantages – On the other hand, it is expensive and bulky with a limited 1 year warranty. With a $350 machine it would be nice if it had a better warranty.
Baratza 885 Vanio Espresso Coffee Grinder
Baratza is a good company to buy a coffee grinder from, so it is no suprise that they also offer a higher end conical burr coffee grinder that makes the best conical burr grinders list. This variety goes for about $450. It is a good coffee grinder, but isn’t the highest end one that Baratza has to offer.
- 8 ounce ground collection container. This means that the hopper is likely to be around twice that size making this one large conical burr grinder.
- 230 different settings – While 55 may seem more than enough, this coffee grinder packs 230 settings that they claim you can see a definite difference. Whether that is true or not the fact that it is programmable so you can pick out the things you like and tell the machine that is a good thing.
- It’s black and silver design is the only color option.
- 4.2 rating out of 5 on Amazon with 4 votes. However, it has good reviews elsewhere and is even used for professional cafes.
- Benefits – This is a conical burr grinder that can handle small commercial loads as well as heavy home use. It can easily grind up to 50 cups a day. With heavy duty ceramic burrs made in Germany they are meant to last twice as long and continue to provide fast, cool, and consistent grinding. It is also easily programmable and can grind right into your espresso’s portafilter. It also comes with a completely digital display and measures out your coffee for you.
- Disadvantages – This is an expensive machine. That is its biggest disadvantage, but it also has some parts that are hard to handle while cleaning and making a mistake when putting it back together can be a big issue and cause bigger problems.
All in all, this machine is too much for most users. The average user isn’t going to need 50 cups of fresh ground, gourmet coffee each day. If you aren’t drinking near that much then you are probably better off spending less money and skipping this high class burr coffee grinder.
When looking for the best conical burr grinders you will need to start with figuring out what you can afford. If you can afford it then the Ranicilio Rocky is likely your bet. If you want some thing fancier there are options, but if you are looking for basic choices to get the job done for less then you should consider the Capresso Infinity conical burr grinder, the Bodum Bistro electric burr coffee grinder, or the Baratza Virtuoso coffee grinder. Each of these has the potential to make you a very happy coffee drinker!
No related posts.