How Many Cups Of Coffee In a Pound
Coffee can be expensive. If you are buying a pound at the grocery store then you are likely paying $7 to 10 a pound. If you order coffee from a gourmet company or roaster and you are likely to spend more than that with some of the most expensive coffees costing hundreds of dollars a pound. So, how far is your money going to get you? How many cups of coffee in a pound.
There are a number of variables that are going to effect just how many cups of coffee in a pound of coffee. First there will be how strong you like your coffee. Then there will be how the coffee is ground. Finally you also need to take into account how you are brewing your coffee.
It’s All In The Numbers
There are about 453 grams in a pound of coffee. Under most situations a Tablespoon is used to measure out your coffee. However, grams and pounds are weight measurements and a tablespoon is a volume measurement. When looking at regular ground coffee a level tablespoon is about 5 grams of coffee.
Electric Drip Coffee Maker
When you are looking at how much coffee you are making you will need to know that most coffee makers and coffee experts use 6 ounces of water for a cup of coffee and that makes 5.33 cups of coffee. Here is some idea of how many cups of coffee in a pound.
- If you make your coffee using two heaping table spoons then you will brew about 30 cups of coffee. However, most coffee mugs are much larger than the 5 or 6 ounces that is considered a cup of coffee. With that in mind it will make about 15 to 20 mugs of coffee.
- A coffee scoop is 2 tablespoons, but isn’t quite as much coffee when heaped. This would make slightly more coffee at about 36 cups (6 ounce cups).
- Coffee is stronger than most like when made this way. Even I who enjoy strong coffee don’t like to drink coffee quite this strong. I enjoy 2 level tablespoons. This will make about 45 cups of coffee.
- If this is still too strong then you may want to drink it with 1 rounded tablespoon. This is about 60 cups of coffee (still the 6 ounce cups).
- Finally if you enjoy a level tablespoon of coffee you can get 90 cups of coffee from a pound of grounds.
Other Coffee Makers
It is very important that you know that other types of coffee makers require different amounts of coffee and often different amounts of water. This can produce significantly different results. How many cups of coffee in a pound can change if you are using a French press, stove top peculator, or espresso machine as a few examples.
When you are looking for how many cups of coffee in a pound of beans you have several things to consider in order to figure out just how much coffee you can get out of a pound. Here’s some other math that can get you focused on the really important part. If you like really strong coffee then it will be about 33 cents for a 6 ounce cup or 50 cents for a larger cup. If you like your coffee a lot weaker then that then you may be spending as few as 11 cents for a 6 ounce cup or 20 cents for a regular coffee mug. These numbers are based on a $10 pound of coffee. If you are buying your coffee for $7 or 8 a pound it would be less expensive. If you buy really fancy coffees then it will be more.
You can feel comfortable that you will get at least 30 cups of coffee out of your pound. However, it is more likely that you will get 45 to 60 cups of coffee according to how weak your coffee is. Coffee at home is a lot less expensive then getting it anywhere else!
No related posts.